Mini Residency at Fair Oaks

florida_landscape_art_linda_blondheim_painting_wild Orange_tree

Notes From My Residency Journal

I arrived to overcast skies and chilly air this morning. I was prepared, with a sweater, hoodie, and hat with ear flaps. I wandered around a bit and landed at one of my favorite painting spots, down the alley next to Collins Field. There is a wild orange tree growing there with tasty fruit each year. It is sandwiched between large Live Oaks. I have painted the scene before in larger format and it recently sold, so today I decided to paint it alla prima.

I enjoyed listening to the crows chatter back and forth and the sight of Sand Hill Cranes passing overhead. What a wonderful quiet place to work. It was a treasured time for me. I heard something roaming around in the bushes near me. I wondered if it was a wild hog but out popped my canine friend Shane, who was goofing off trying to scare me. He is so much fun to play with. When he was younger, he used to ride around in the cart with me, but I notice more and more that he feels the need to stay with his Dad most of the time.

I was so happy to see that the citrus trees had survived the cold of a few days ago. The staff worked very hard, long into the night to protect them and we were all so pleased their efforts paid off.

The lunch bell rang and we sat down to a glorious lunch of chicken salad sandwiches, peas and onions, tossed salad, and baked sweet potatoes. I had to have two sweet potatoes, they were so delicious. We turned down the offered ice cream for dessert, being too full. I enjoyed a nice hot cup of coffee instead. I so enjoy lunching with the staff. It is always delicious and there is always interesting conversation. Today they took turns using big words, trying to top each other with their knowledge.  I hadn’t the foggiest idea of their meaning. I was an art major. 😉


Pond Trees at Fair Oaks

After lunch I headed over to Holy Ground Field to paint the old Live Oak trees at the pond edge. I always enjoy that scene. Just as I was finishing up the misty rain began, so I packed up Leroy and headed for my own studio after another day in Paradise.

Share this post